Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: year old male..skin in the upper belly just after his legs…

Customer Question
I have a 2 year...
I have a 2 year old male cat that has a protusion under the skin in the upper belly just after his legs. It feels sharp and small in just one small area?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/20/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Hi there.

is this painful to Theodore?

How long has it been there?

Thanks!
It is only painful when you push the bump in. It has been there for a week.
Thanks for the area.

This bump is most likely a piece of scar tissue due to possibly an insect bite or a tick. Since it is so small and is movable under the skin, whatever has caused this is benign and will not cause your cat any harm. If this grows quickly, this could be a tumor or the beginnings of an abscess forming. You do not have to do anything with this now but if it grows, have your vet examine this lesion.

Good Luck!
I seems a bit boney and can be moved in but not right or left. If you try to move it right or left it doesn't move and he spits when you try to move it right or left. It seems to be a bit protruding and boney or solid?
THis could also be a foreign body such as a thorn or piece of grass that has penetrated the skin and is sitting under his skin. If this is a foreign body, this may fester and need to be removed by your vet. have your vet examine this on Monday.
You don't think that this could be a broken or cracked rib or hernia or some organ that has become enlarged?
NO, from what you have described to me , this is nothing broken or a hernia or an organ.

Watch it closely and have your vet examine it.