Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just found 4 abandoned kitties. There was a fifth that was…

Customer Question
I just found 4 abandoned...
I just found 4 abandoned kitties. There was a fifth that was a considerable amount bigger. I did not rescue that one because it's eyes was very pussy and red, as if they were almost pussed over shut. Now, one of the kitties look like it may have the same thing. I am pregnant and am concerned for not only my safety, but the other three kitties which whom it is in the same box. Anything that I can do? I am also feeding them milk and canned food (said okay for cats & kittens) anything else? I beleive that they are most - 5 weeks old. Very small kitties. I want to make sure they are healthy and then plan on finding a good home/giving to shelter (no-kill). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/20/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Eye infections in kittens this age is usually due to herpes virus infection. It is not contagious to you, but is highly contagious between cats. If one already had symptoms, the others have been exposed. They may or may not get sick. Herpes is treated with eye meds, oral antibiotics for secondary bacterial infection, lysine paste and supportive care. The only thing to use in the eyes at home is plain saline used for contact lenses or artificial tears from the grocery store 3-4 times a day. Your local pet store may have lysine paste. Kittens this age should be on dry kitten chow softened with warm water, no milk. They should also be wormed now and vaccinated once healthy if no longer nursing. Parasites are the biggest concern to you. You need to wash your hands very well after handling them.
Does it matter if I may have the age of the kitten wrong? i.e if they are less than the 5 weeks? And, since the other 3 are not showing any signs, does this mean that it is a good chance that the others willl not get it? Additionally, I can just get the kitten wormer at the store right?

If I do see the other kitten who I did not rescue, is there still hope for that one? What happens if the one I have gets worst? Any hope other than the vet?

Thank you in advance. Tori
Chances are the other kittens will get sick. If they are not nursing anymore, they need to be on replacement kitten milk if too young to eat dry food. If they can eat it, that is all they need. As soon as they stop nursing, they have no immune protection from the mother and are susceptible to disease. That is why vaccines are started at 6 weeks of age, the normal weaning age. Your local pet store will have wormer that kills the most common parasites. Less common ones require prescription meds. The other kitten may be saved if proper care is given, but there is no guarantee. If the one you have gets worse, it will need a vet visit or it may not make it.
One last series of question sorry.

What is the time period of all this? When will I know I am in the clear with the other kittens? Should I try to see if the mother is still out there and get them back into the nursing?

I just got the one yesterday from my shed, and she is doing good as far as I can see. The other 3 arrived today (incld. the one i am concerned may have the eye infection I saw with the other one.) Are you sure that there is no hope if I separate that one now? In other words, 2 still may have been fed by the mother sometime today, and the other 1 probably sometime yesterday or the day before. Does the mother's immunity protection last for a little bit? I am keeping my fingers crossed...it would break my heart to see something happen to them, but then again, I am not rich.

If I drop them to the no-kill SPCA, do you know if they would provide the necessary drugs to help them? My husband is allergic and there really is no chance that I can keep them. I was just given a little time to try to find a good home, which as of now, one (the one rescued from the other day) has one and is going on Monday.

Ugh, never knew this would be such a nightmare, its just my shed was coming down and the kittens were deserted.... I may (hopefully) be able to find the mother.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really hopeful.
The incubation period for most viruses is 7-10 days after exposure. It is very unlikely the mother would take the kittens back at this point. The immunity from the milk does not last very long. A several days at most. A shelter will have medicine to treat them if they get sick. If you can't keep them, that would be the best option for them.
Last question, I promise!!!!

How contagious is contagious? I am separating the three from the one but I have them in boxes next door to each other. I don't want them to get too lonely, and at the very least they can meow to each other!

In the last response, I meant to say helpful and not 'hopeful', sorry!

And this service is excellent! I will definatley be a returning customer! With three dogs, this will come in handy. No way it could spread to them right? I have a 4 year old pomeranium, 11 year old pomeranium and 2 year old choc lab.
Most viruses are very contagious. They are transmitted through the air. One kitten sneezes, the other breathe it in and in a few days they are all sick. The dogs are safe. If the kittens are in different rooms, that is the best you can do. As long as they have food, water, warmth and a litter box, they don't need much else.