Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Dear Sir, we have some adult cats and we now have 8 kittens,

Customer Question
one of the mothers has...
Dear Sir, we have some adult cats and we now have 8 kittens, one of the mothers has like water on her chin and so do some of the kittens, their chins and beside their mouths have become discoloured, there is obviouly something wrong but we do not know what it is, can you help, there seems to be a lot of meowing going on, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/19/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Hi Christine.

Most likely this condition is called Feline Acne. This can be a hereditary trait that causes a staph infection on the chin and around the mouths if the cats affected. This is easily treated with twice a day application of betadine to the affected areas. This will clear it up but it will reappear at some other time. This does not cause any harm to the cats affected.

Good Luck!