Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: litterbox..as I was adopted by lexi..no-kill animal shelter…

Customer Question
Hello. Here's my dilema...
Hello. Here's my dilema: my cat, Lexi, doesn't cover her "deposits" after using the litterbox ... and it really smells. I'm still rather new to this as I was adopted by Lexi during a visit to a "no-kill" animal shelter last fall. They guesstimated her age to be around 4 years old. She's a long-haired Tabby, and arrived at the shelter already spayed and declawed. She was recently weighed during a trip to the vet for an upper respiratory infection, and weighs 14 pounds. She has a bit of a belly, but I figured that's not that unusual, given that she's (now) strictly an indoor cat. Also, I currently use a flushable, clumping litter called "World's Best Cat Litter", as there are only a few types of litter that can be used wih the "Litter Maid" self-cleaning litterbox. This brand doesn't give off any dust, is bio-degradable, clumping, flushable, made from corn, and is safe for animals, humans, and the environment. Why won't she cover her litterbox "deposits"?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/18/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
You are not alone in your problem. Many cats seem to be "proud" of what they've done and want to display it prominently for all to see (and smell!).
I know of no way to teach a cat to cover their "deposites", but there is a new type of litter box that makes cleaning as painless as any I've seen. It's a covered rounded shape box that rolls, trapping the deposits in a pull out tray. You can view and order it at
http://www.omegapaw.com/RollAwayReg.html. This should provide at least a partial solution to your problem.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.