Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat of 8 years, who has never been outside, and never had…

Customer Question
My cat of 8 years...
My cat of 8 years, who has never been outside, and never had any health problems that I am aware of... has two months ago moved from NY to South Central Florida (Clewiston). No problems with the transition... adores my 85 year old father and my 7 year old grandaughter... always sleeps in the hall in front of the front door, and under the ac vent. yesterday, late in the evening, looking for the cat... nowhere to be found until I went to take a bath around midnight. She was lying in the bathtub, my thinking, strange, but smart... but this morning she was in my shower... again cool... but mucousy eyes, and lethargic... did not interact during the day, very unusual, did not eat or drink today, tonight she was again in the bathtub... I'm new to Clewiston, and don't know what to do for her... I tried to give her fresh food and water... No response! Any advice would be appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/18/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dan J, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan J
Dr. Dan J, Veterinarian

Thank you for consulting with JustAnswer.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

(1) Is she around any other pets, cats, dogs, etc?

(2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

(3) Any problems breathing?

(4) What breed?

I have to go offline now but with the above information this is my answer.

I particularly don't like hearing that a cat is not eating. This seems to be one of the highlights of most cats' days. If she is inside and not exposed to the heat and humidity then I don't see how this could be related to heat exhaustion. If she has not come into contact with other animals, then a bite abscess would not be possible.

In this cat's case, I think it wise to have her examined by a veterinarian probably in the AM. At eight years of age, there can be some issues starting with major organs like the kidneys or liver. Also some cats can "hide" heart issues and only show lethargy in the early stages.

My advice is to have her looked at as soon as you can (probably not an emergency tonight).

Hope this is helpful......

She is not around any other pets. Always an inside cat, and always hid... thus her name, Casper. She became close with my father when I moved in with them to care for my mother two years ago, and has been a true and faithful friend to him, aacting very much like a normal cat would, friendly and accessible.

(2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

She has had no vomiting or diarrhea. - no stool yesterday. When I just checked on her, she was still in th bathtub, in the same place, having not touched her water or food. I did notice signs of flea activity, black specs from around where she was laying.

(3) Any problems breathing?

Seems to be very shallow, as if she were sedated, purrs loudly when pet -- which is unusual-- she's usually purrs very lightly when held.

I will make an appt this morning, as suggested. Another problem is that of where a vet is in this neck of the woods.

(4) What breed?

Not a particular breed. Most like a calico, different colors, brown, tan, black with a white belly.

Thanks for the reply.

The black specks most like is flea dirt...not uncommon in Florida. Getting Casper seen is definitely called for. Hopefully, this is a minor problem...something that she could overcome on her own; but without a good exam and perhaps some testing, it's hard to be sure.

Good luck to you and Casper....if you can, I would appreciate a follow up note on what the vet finds and how she is doing.

Edited by Dr. Dan J on 6/18/2010 at 1:06 PM EST
Thank you so much for your concern...and support. I will certainly aprise you of the progress..

Thank you....again, I hope all is well