Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

kittens: mungo a stray pregnant calico about 4 yrs ago..spayed…

Customer Question
We took in "Mungo" a...
We took in "Mungo" a stray pregnant calico about 4 yrs ago. After she had her kittens we had her spayed. She is probably about 5 years old. She is a very sweet loving cat and she doesn't act like she is in pain at all or sick. About a month ago I noticed the she had a hard lump on her side, close to her belly. The lump appears to have grown. I took her to the vet and they tried to extract a sample of the lump with a needle. The results came back that they had just extracted fat cells. The vet told me that she didn't trust this, as some tumors/masses are unable to be penetrated by the needle. The vet recommended that we schedule surgery to remove and biopsy the lump. She seemed worried that it could be fibrosarcoma. I have been reading about fibrosarcoma on line and what I'm reading really scares me. I would hate to think that my little baby may have cancer, limited time, and the potential to suffer greatly from treatments. What do you think this could be?The bump is egg-size
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/17/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is the mass firm or soft?
Is it lumpy bumpy or one single smooth mass?

Did it grow fast or slow?

Thanks.

The mass is hard. It seems to have grown quickly. It was almost as if "all of a sudden" I noticed it. I could be wrong here though, as I may just not have noticed the mass before.

I just felt her where the mass is and It feels like she actually has 2 masses next to each other. One is egg shaped and very apparent. Next to the egg shaped one is a less "apparent" mass. They are both hard and by her left hind leg/stomach. Both masses feel smooth; they do not feel bumpy.

She does not mind if I press on the masses; she seems healthy overall.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Thanks for the info.

Based on these, I would also be very concerned about it to be some type of sarcoma, which is a malignant tumor. I would have to agree with your vet that it should be completely removed and send to the pathologist for analysis.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Thank you for your help. It is helpful to get a second opinion. I however have not learned anything new from your reply. In the event that it is a malignant tumor, how would I proceed from there? I am trying to brace myself for what to expect. Life expenctancy? Is there a chance by removing the tumor she would be cancer free? Could it just be a cyst of some sort and not a tumor? I don't know if I have it in my heart to put such a wonderful animal through radiation.....what is that like?

Given the location of the mass, when your vet perform the surgery, he/she will be doing a wide margin excision, in an attempt to remove everything in its entirety. Even if it comes back to be malignant, the bigger question is "does it have clean or dirty margins". If it is clean, then everything is removed; if it is dirty, then some might have been left behind. With the former, nothing else needs to be done as that should be curative. With the latter, dirty means there are some microscopic cancer cells remained and radiation therapy would be ideal. Radiation therapy has very little side effect for cats, unlike in human, there is no hair loss etc. The only thing is that every single session of radiation requires anesthesia, and every time going under anesthesia there is a small risk inherit to all anesthesia. And yes, it could be a cyst, or it could be just fat. But without getting a bigger sample of it, no one can say for sure. Based on the description, a malignant tumor is more likely. With treatment via surgery and radiation if needed, life expectancy is good. The longer you wait on surgery, the higher the chance the tumor will spread to elsewhere.