Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

HI, I have a 9 mth old blue point siamese born with vestibular ataxia, herpes lesions…

Customer Question
HI, I have a 9...
HI, I have a 9 mth old blue point siamese born with vestibular ataxia, herpes lesions to both eyes. He was very sick until 4 mths. He has progressed immensley, against the prognosis of our vet. He has always "swung" his head around in order to see things, which we thought was due to decreased vision. However i noticed that his eyeballs do not move. At all.
They appear "stuck in the same position...why is this? And is there anything we can do to help him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/16/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian

I'm assuming the vestibular ataxia is a result of cerebellar hypoplasia that resulted from a viral infection of the mother while the kitten was in the uterus? With the breed and that problem I would think nystagmus (lateral eye movement) would be more likely.

If it is as you describe it is possible that MJ's neurologic problems may be infectious and not developmental, although it is still possible. In answer to your direct question, is there anything you can do to help him, if you honestly think he has vision and can see at all I would allow him to adapt to his surroundings. Cats are amazing and MJ will do amazingly well as long as you do not make changes to his environment that may throw him off.

The herpes in the eyes needs to be treated with antiviral drops or whatever needs to be done to control it.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you.