Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I lost the tranquilizers I was going to use to move my cats…

Customer Question
I lost the tranquilizers I...
I lost the tranquilizers I was going to use to move my cats on aXXXXXtrip. We're leaving soon. I have some low dosage clonipan (they each weigh 17 lbs), could I break those up and give it to them?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/16/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Hi there,

I would not recommend giving your medication for two reasons - it's a prescription medication specifically prescribed to you and because this type of medication (a benzodiazepine) can result in rare but serious side effects in cats. Instead, I would give each of them a 1/2 of a tablet of Dramamine (the regular formula, not the non-drowsy one), preferably an hour or so before the trip.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Is there a specific mg dose for dramamine we should look for?
Dramamine comes in 50mg tablets only. Give a 1/4 of a tablet (NOT a 1/2 as I recommended above) to each cat.