Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 16 year old female cat has been sneezing a lot in the past…

Customer Question
My 16 year old female...
My 16 year old female cat has been sneezing a lot in the past few days. She is also not sleeping where she normally does on the living room couch but sleeping in an open cat carrier in the basement. She is eating normally. She seems to be drinking a lot of water.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/16/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

A few comments that might catch you off guard.

Dr. Andy :

First, the sneezing. That is self-explanatory. It could suggest a simple upper respiratory infection. Certainly, underlying viral disease like herpes is always possible or allergies, but that is not the main concern.

Dr. Andy :

The main concern is actually the increased water intake!!!

Dr. Andy :

At this age, that is almost certainly indicative of either kidney disease (#1), followed by possible hyperthyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone and the #2 condition seen in older cats), and even diabetes or liver issues.

Dr. Andy :

So, it is critical she gets into a vet to see if she needs oral antibiotics to tend to a respiratory infection, and even more importantly, a basic blood (with a thyroid level) and urine test for an overall health assessment. The blood profile and urine test would be a great start for evaluating for everything I have mentioned above.

Dr. Andy :

I think that is about all I can comment at this point. I hope that is helpful. Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy :

I need to leave for about 20 minutes to get some dinner. If I didn't cover everything just reply and i'll get back to you. Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy :

I am back and will await your reply if I can be of any further assistance.