Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: overweight..her anal area, eats and drinks..energetic..lethargic…

Customer Question
I have a 2 year...
I have a 2 year old spayed female cat that seems to leak drops of clear, very foul-smelling fluid from either her rectum or vagina (I can't tell which) every so often. She is not overweight, doesn't "scoot", doesn't pay excessive attention to her anal area, eats and drinks well, and is very active/energetic (i.e. doesn't seem to be lethargic). The area (rectum) looks normal, and she voids normally and has normal stools.

The only other issue with her is that she has pretty dry skin and claws. I brush both of my cats regularly and my 6 y/o long-hair has no problems (they are eating the same food). The 2 y/o has a lot of dandruff and her claws will split if I cut them, and sometimes randomly break off at the quick. I know these are likely unrelated. I'm more concerned with the discharge--it's really quite foul. I acquired her from a friend a few months ago and I've gathered that this isn't a new thing for her but I'm still worried.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/15/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
HI there.

This foul smelling fluid is most likely from her anal glands. She may have a very liquidy material in these glands that are located at either side of her anus and because it is so liquid, this leaks from her glands. If this becomes irritation, then your vet could remove these glands. They serve no purpose and the problem is mostly aesthetics and not harmful to your girl.

The splitting nails and dry skin tells us that she needs more biotin and Omega 3 fatty acids. Mark and Chappell treats may help this that can be purchased at any pet store.

Good Luck!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
I figured it was anal glands, but I just wanted to make sure. I'd read somewhere that some cats are born with glands that don't "close" all the way.

Also, I tried giving her plain fish oil (I popped open one of my supplements). She thought I was trying to kill her...she's kind of a weirdo--won't eat wet food, won't eat treats. ;o) But I'll try the ones you suggested!

Thank you very much!
Good for you!!

You are very welcome!! I hope the treats will help.