Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: my female..slightly gagging..hairball..we went to feed her dinner…

Customer Question
Yesterday my female 9-year old...
Yesterday my female 9-year old cat was acting like she was slightly gagging with a hairball. When we went to feed her dinner she could no longer meow which is a routine of hers. She is an inside only cat. Do you have any suggestions? What is wrong with her and what should we do? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/15/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Hi
She may have chewed on a Dumb Cane(diphenbacchia is the spelling of the true name I believe) or possibly licked on something caustic. If she is salivating and uncomfortable, you might want her to go in tonight for exam and treatment. If the laryngitis, loss of meow persists go in tomorrow to your regular veterinarian for exam and symptomatic treatment.
Good luck on this.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.
thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney