Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has chronic diarrhea that sometimes has blood in it.

Customer Question
He has had this since...
My cat has chronic diarrhea that sometimes has blood in it. He has had this since he was a kitten and he is 14 years old now. Recently (since we moved 8 months ago) the diarrhea has become increasingly worse. It is litterally watery explosive diarrhea. He has lost weight also. (from 14 to 9 lbs) We visited our veterinarian this past week for a checkup and brought a stool sample. He has prescribed a new diet (gastrointestinal diet) and started him on oral steroids. Since this time, I have found the diarrhea to be worse instead of better. I worry that my cat will not absorb any essential nutrients because everything goes right through him. I work in a hospital and brought home some Imodium tablets (2mg). Can I safely administer a dose of imodium (perhaps 1/2 tab) to slow the diarhhea until we can return to the vet for reassessment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/14/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian

You can give the imodium at 1/2-1 tablet q 12 hours. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this for this long. Have you tried a cooked all meat diet? Many cats cannot handle commercial cat foods. You can cook any meat, or use deli meats or strained meat baby food. No commercial cat foods at all, especially dry foods.

After a 2-3 week trial diet I would suggest intestinal biopsies if it is unresolved.

He should also be tested for giardia, trichomoniasis, clostridium, campylobacter and cryptosporodiosis.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you.

Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Should I continue with the dextab as well? I didn't give him any yesterday because I didn't think it was working but don't want to discontinue the treatment if I just haven't given it long enough. I gave him almost 5 days of tx so far for the 2 week course. He was questioning IBS possibly being aggravated by our move. (He is a very timid cat and comes out only when we are around).
I would discontinue the steroid since you said it is not helping anyway, possibly making it worse. IBD is not a stress disorder in cats.

Edited by Doctor 4 Cats on 6/14/2010 at 11:17 AM EST