Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

persian: My ten month old..gluten free diet..stools

Customer Question
My ten month old persian...
My ten month old persian cat is in heat. she is on a gluten free diet and normally has firm stools. Last night i woke to find she had explosive diahreah. she is drinking, but has no appetite. I gave her some metronzdole for the diahreah. she has had all her inoculations. Also, 14 days ago i adopted from a rescue an 8 week old boxer puppy(my dream dog). 12 hours later i was in the vet and he was diagnoised with parvo. I was told by my vet that he had a 90 percent chance of making it if he was treated at the vet. I decided with that percent of success i would go ahead with the treatment. he was put on iv's. I took off work and stayed and held gus 7 -8 hours a day for 5 days. Unfortunely, Gus did not make it. I was left with over a thousand dollar bill and had no dog to bring home. I am devasted and hearbroken. I am wondering if the success stats the vet gave me were correct and accurate. I know parvo does not affec cats but could she be sick because of the gus?t
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/13/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian
I am so sorry for your loss. There are no studies showing an overall survival rate for parvo. This varies depending upon how the patient's immune system responds to the virus, whether or not any secondary bacterial infections develop and how severely the disease affects the patient's bone marrow. If you talk to individual veterinarians, you will hear anywhere from a 50-90% survival rate. My personal experience is about an 85% survival rate for my patients. I wish it were 100%, as this is such a devastating disease. You are correct, definitely not canine parvo affecting Piper. I am most concerned about intestinal parasites such as coccidia and giardia. Both of these parasites can cause a sudden, severe diarrhea. These are common in rescue animals and can pass between cats and dogs. I would have Piper's stool checked for their presence. Make sure a sample is also sent to an outside lab, as giardia cysts can be very difficult to find. Metronidazole will treat giardia, but not coccidia. The correct dosage for metronidazole in cats is 25mg/kg or about 10 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours for 7 days. Potential side effects include neurologic problems (confusion, acting drunk, etc.). these side-effects are more common in dogs, but can occur in cats.

Dr. Kevin