Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: stray..has lost fur and skin around its neck due..grow back…

Customer Question
If a stray grown cat...
If a stray grown cat has lost fur and skin around it's neck due to an injury, will it grow back without medical help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/12/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian

Hello.

1) Can you describe the injury?

2) Is it a large cut? A sore? etc.

Dr. Kevin

The raw area almost encircles the width around it's neck & is approx. 2" wide all the way around. I described it to my son, who is a hunter & he said it sounds like a fox or

coyote grabbed the cat & it managed to get away. It is very raw, and encrusted around the edges. It appears to be weepy wet; although not bleeding now, it must have originally.

Cats can heal very quickly. The problems will occur if it becomes infected or if he has any viral infections (such as feline leukemia virus or feline immunodeficiency virus) that hinder his ability to heal. This is a tough situation to be in, since he is not your cat, but you are trying to help him out.

1) Do you know anything about his past history? Rabies vaccinations, etc.?

Dr. Kevin

I don't know anything about it's history, but since the owners didn't have him neutered,

& moved ? leaving him behind, they obviously didn't care what happened to him.

I have no information about the stray cat.

Can you give me any useful information to help him?