Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: Normally does have a bm but every two days since I have had her.

Customer Question
Princess, 14 years old long...
Princess, 14 years old long haired male cat. Normally does have a BM but every two days since I have had her. She has not had a BM since Monday 7th June. She has lost of appetite and has not peed since yesterday morning. She drinks water okay but just goes from one sleeping place to the other. Lisless. Can pet her, doesn't cry when touched. Princess was a stray cat that I adopted when she was about 1 year old. Indoor cat. Has had her exam every year since I have had her and is due for another one in July. Not a lap cat but loves to be petted. Right now, she has not eaten but a few bites of her soft food
since last night.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/12/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kevin
Dr. Kevin, Veterinarian

Thanks for the question.

1) Just to clarify, the first sentence says male, but other references and the name seem to indicate female?

2) If you press on her belly, is there any discomfort?

3) Was any blood work done at her last exam?

Dr. Kevin

Princess is a female.There seems to be no discomfort when I press on her belly.. Her stool was check last visit. No blood work done. I couldn't afford it - not working..

Thanks.

One of my main concerns when seeing an older cat that develops constipation is dehydration. This can occur, even if she is drinking water.

The lack of appetite and lack of urine production makes me very concerned about the functioning of her kidneys. My first recommendation has to be a trip to the vet as soon as possible. Call around, and see if you can find someone will run some very limited tests to check her kidney function. If this is not possible due to finances (which I completely understand), and you are looking for a home treatment for constipation, you can try Miralax powder. This should be available at your local pharmacy. The dose is 1/4 teaspoon added to food once or twice daily.

To tempt her to eat, you can try a meat baby food such as pureed chicken. Just make sure the label does not list onion powder, as this can be toxic to cats.

Again, my feeling is that the constipation is a symptom of a separate condition, and not the cause of her feeling poorly. I do hope the Miralax helps her, and if need be, you are able to find someone to work with you on having some tests done on her.

Dr. Kevin

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX afford to continue to receive more information. It will be hard to get her to eat since she has been given the food she loves but she just went to drink a little water and just looked at her food. I am 83 years and she has been a blessing to me since my husband passed away when I first got her. My SS check goes a little way. Thank you again for your advice and I do accept it.

Try the Miralax and see if it helps her constipation, I hope she feels better soon. God bless.

Dr. Kevin