Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

kittens: stray..5-6 weeks old..tonight..litter was in the boat…

Customer Question
I have alot of stray...
I have alot of stray cats that live around my house, one of them had kittens that are living in my boat. They are probably around 5-6 weeks old. I noticed tonight that the assumed father of the litter was in the boat, and I know that they will kill kittens. Is there anything I can do to keep him away? How old do the kittens need to be before I dont have to worry about him hurting them?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/11/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian

HI there

I would try trapping the male- (have him neutered) then relocate him to safe area so you do not have to worry about him killing the kittens. I would not bring him to animal control as they would surly euthanize him. At 8 weeks the kittens can be spayed /neutered and vaccinated and dewormed. I would also trap the mom in 2 weeks and have her spayed then put her back. We need to stop the flow of the cat population. Dr. Jenn You can rent a cat trap from your local animal shelter.