Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: goes to the litter box his urine is orange.

Customer Question
My cat that is 1...
My cat that is 1 1/2 yars old has been sick for the last week. His thired eys is out. When he goes to the litter box his urine is orange. It is not blood I have checked. He is a very active pixey bob. He lives in the hous with 4 other cats and none of the othe cats are ill. He is drinking water but last night thur that up. Whe he walks he acts like his hole body hurts. His ears and nose are bot hot.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/10/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Is he eating normally?

Does he ever go outside?

Has he been vaccinated and screened for feline leukemia and AIDS?

Did he get into anything you know of? Garbage, house plants?
I keep him in the house. No he not eattiing. Yes has all shots and has been tested for eveything. He is drinking water but last night through that up right after he drink it. I don't think that he got into anything. No garbage I have not house plants. I have 4 other cats and they are all OK.
Loss of appetite and orange urine are not good signs in a cat. It can indicate liver disease, gall bladder problems or anemia. If he has not been eating for several days the body starts breaking down body fat to use for energy. This leads to fatty liver syndrome and jaundice. 50% of cats do not survive this. All cases need to be hospitalized and intense treatment. If water is not staying down, he is likely dehydrated by now. I would have the cat examined today if possible. Blood tests are needed to rule out the possible causes. Cats also get 'fever of unknown origin' which will make them stop eating. The first thing a scats does when it doesn't feel well is to stop eating.
Is ther anything I can do for him
There is nothing to do at home in these cases other than force feeding food and water several times a day. Onion free jarred baby food, chicken or turkey, works best. If he vomits everything back up, he needs to be hospitalized.
Thank you
You are very welcome. Good Luck!
My cat is now eating wet food and he is better, He is also drinking water and all is staying down, His thired eye is still out. His urine is fine now but he is still very weak. What do I do now
Wet food is 85% water. He needs to eat several cans a day to maintain weight. Dry food is much higher in calories and nutrients. He needs to eat dry food, even if moistened with water, to give the body nutrients to attempt to heal. The more the cat eats, the better.