Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 yr old male cat has been on RX diet S/D for about 6-8…

Customer Question
My 3 yr old male...
My 3 yr old male cat has been on RX diet S/D for about 6-8 weeks now for crystals in his bladder. Yesterday, he turned his nose up to the food and hasn't ate since. Why would he just stop eating? It concerns me because he already doesn't drink water, so if he stops eating his RX wet food, he will become dehydrated as well! Otherwise, he seems to be fine, he isn't lethargic, he is urinating, etc. What could be wrong & how long do I wait before I take him to his vet?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/10/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear that Franki has turned up his nose at his food. I would say a recheck by your vet is definitely advised. They should do a urine evaluation to assess how his crystal status is. In all honesty, the s/d diet isn't meant for long term use. It is to initially dissolve stones / crystals and then to be switched over to another diet like c/d. I'm glad he seems to be otherwise fine and isn't lethargic. Hopefully he's just tired of that diet. And, we need to get him to the c/d.
Can I give him something else over the counter wet food for now just to get him to eat?
I would say that if you want to give him something just to make sure he's eating you can. The c/d diet will be very good long term to help his overall urinary tract health.