Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: year old female..back under..pet and love her should i b worried…

Customer Question
hey my name is XXXXX...
hey my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a 3 year old female fixed cat. to day she is staying under the bed i was scard and put her on the bed and she went back under. she let me pet and love her should i b worried i live on ss so i dont have money i dont know
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/10/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian

Does precious go outside at all?

Is she having any vomiting/diarrhea?

Is she eating today?

Did she get into anything that may have made her ill?

Any change in diet?

no out side not vomiting or other she eat a little this mornnig not since no she has had the same food 4 a year

Well, it doesn't sound like she is in any immediate crisis. I would be concerned a bit that she hasn't eaten much today and may be a bit dehydrated. If she lets you, I would encourage giving her some water or pedialyte with a syringe or dropper just to make sure that she stays hydrated. If she isn't letting you do so, don't force the issue.

I would be concerned that she may have picked up a virus or a bacteria of some sort (even indoors there are things to cause infections), and she may just need some time to get over it. As long as she still wants to eat a bit, and there is no vomiting or diarrhea, then you can give her a little bit of time to get over it without needing any outside intervention. Do not give her any over the counter human medications, since there really is nothing that cats can get that is safe for them.

If she doesn't seem any better in 24-36 hours, or you can't get any fluids into her, then I would have to encourage taking her to see a veterinarian.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

ok u dont hink she is staying under the bed to die right i mean she wont come 2 us at all we have 2 pick her up then back under the bed

Is she showing you any other signs of illness? Does she seem alert and responsive? The way you describe her, it sounds like she is just acting anxious. Is she limping or having trouble moving at all? Does she cry when you touch her?

no she just want s 2 b alone i have 2 other cats they r fine she just wants nothing 2 do with us she will let u love her but thats about all i hopr its just like a kitty flu i just dont know

Is she walking or running normally (no limping)?

Is she crying at all when you touch her?

Has she had any diarrhea?

no she want take but a step or 2 no running she jumped off the bed and no crying

At this point, nothing you have told me makes me think that she is dying. She sounds like she just wants to be left alone. I would monitor her until tomorrow. If she still isn't acting quite right, you can offer her something special to eat, like human baby food, or kitten food. If she will eat, then you can continue to nurse her and see if she gets better without any medication.

However, if she continues to act ill, and won't eat, then she will need to see a veterinarian in the next day or two.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Good luck and I hope this helps.