Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Im sorry Im so dense. I just asked you the question regarding…

Customer Question
I'm sorry I'm so dense...
I'm sorry I'm so dense. I just asked you the question regarding my cat with a distended abdomen and i could not figure out how or where to send the further info. Now I can't get back to w/o paying the $38. again. Help!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/9/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian

HI there,

you are back with me --

no charge for info requests -- you may need to give me any basic info again == thanks

Hi there,

I noted that you had paid twice --( I requested a refund for 1 -- you should see in 24 hours) and I have not answered you yet.

You can use this request for info or the one I just sent .

There is no charge to submit info on these. Let me knwo if you need further help

O.K., thank you! Raymond had developed a hugh firm abdomen over 2 wks maybe. and has become very thin. He doesn't seem rto be in any pain and still eats though very little. The vet here drew off about a pint of straw colored fluid and a little blood . He thought he may have nicked the spleen . Gave him antibiotics and Lasix 15 mg twice a day. Raymond's alt was 1.17
What info can I give you?

This sounds as though it is related to heart or liver failure --

The firm abdomen was due to fluid(serum) leaking out of the abdominal organs (ascites). This can happen with liver disease or heart failure.

The LAsix is a diuretic and will draw fluid off the body - through the kidneys.

The antibiotics are to reduce the effects of any onfection that is present or that may be introduced by drawing fluid off.

Is this the information you are seeking -- or is there more to your question. What yoru vet is atttempting is correct -- but may only give temporary releif.

Often, there the reason the fluid is there is because there is a significant decerase in function of one of these major organ (sometimes both). Drawing off the fluid makes your cat more comfortable and allows the vet time to assess the situation. --

If there is more you are seeking -- please let me know -- if there was blood work done -- if you know any results, I can review. Just be sure that you do not click the final accept button to send an additional payment or I will be paid again!! I will keep an eye on my account for about a day ;-)

Thanks

I ddn't get a copy of the labs but I remember that the alt was 1.17 and eos was slightly elevated other than another, which I can't remember, which was very low. I think it was also a liver enzyme.

HI again --

Blood chemistry levels and abbreviations can be very confusing --

The info given may point to the liver being affected -- but is hard to tell. And it would be affected in either heart or liver disease.

I have seen this a number of times in older cats -- it can be most difficult.

I will use the info request button to avoid any charges for you.

You do not need to write back unless there is more to your question.

I forgot to ask yesterday. Do you think 15 mgs of Lasix is a reasonable dose for a debilitated
Old cat?

Hi again --

The dosage for Lasix is

.5-2 mg per pound up to three times per day.

So if your cat is at 7-8 pounds -- this is ok. It is an aggresive dos -- but is necessary in the situation yoru cat is in. If the fluid can be kept form accumulating -- then chances are the dose will be reduced.

No need to reply -- just using the info request to avoid charges for you