Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: to walk around at night screaming her head

Customer Question
We have an 18 year...
We have an 18 year old cat who seems to walk around at night screaming her head off....Just once or twice at night...It's like she is lost. She does have health problems but this is a new symptom....Why??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/9/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Hi, thanks for your question regarding Patches. When we are faced with a cat who "vocalizes" at night, there are a few possible explanations. Some cats show signs of confusion or "senility" as they age, and unfortunately there's not much that we can do for cats in such a situation. However, some cats with this vocalizing behavior may have Hypertension (high blood pressure), which can be controlled quite well with medication. I would have to recommend having Patches' blood pressure checked, and if it's elevated, then I suspect that may be the cause of the problem.
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Thanks....I was wondering if it could be senility...Would that have anything to do with her missing her litter box frequently...She was always an indoor/outdoor cat and how she is confined to using a litter box. Thanks for the advice. I'l check with her Vet
Missing the litterbox certainly could be a sign of senility, it also can be due to arthritis, since some older cats with arthritis won't fully position themselves over the box, resulting in missing the box. Sometimes it's just behavioral for certain cats.