Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat cant hold her head up and is losing weight fast. She

Customer Question
My cat can't hold her...
My cat can't hold her head up and is losing weight fast. She is able to eat though. She seems dilerious and is walking is circles. I have absolutely zero dollars to take her to a vet.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/15/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Does she carry her head down?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is she drinking more then usual?

Yes she carries her head down. She also is walking around in circles. I think she is drinking more. Her bowl was empty

This symptom is typical when cats have low potassium (hypokalemia). This is very serious as they can die if untreated. It usually happens as a result of kidney disease. Walking around in circles is probably a symptom secondary to whatever has caused her potassium to be low. Unfortunately, this case truly needs a veterinarian. If you can not have her seen by a vet the only thing you could do is supplement her with pedialyte which has potassium in it; but, the underlying cause has not been addressed and she will probably continue to be hypokalemic.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

What steps will the vet take to treat this? and is it very expensive?
They will need to take some blood work to determine if this is as a result of kidney disease and measure the potassium levels. Then, she will need an IV to get potassium IV in addition to fluids. Cost varies from clinic to clinic but, you are looking at least 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
if it is kidney disease, I read that it is incurable. Will I need to have her put down?

It is not curable but it is treatable. If she is in complete renal failure, then putting her to sleep in an option.

is it a one time treatment or is it something that will have to be treated for the rest of her life?

For the rest of her life.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian