I live in a rural area, and, thus, have feral cats from time to time. As you well know, they often get injuries that are

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I live in a rural area, and, thus, have feral cats from time to time. As you well know, they often get injuries that are small, but nonetheless uncomfortable. Is there anything that I can give them to help their discomfort. Some I cannot get close to, but might be able to mix with food, etc... I have one now with a cut on one of his ears that keeps getting hurt from time to time, and don't know what to do for the little guy. This really bothers me. If you can suggest something, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Anita Peschon
Answered by Dr. Dave in 4 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Dave
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I treat a lot of feral cats in my practice. This situation is difficult. There are very few medications that you can mix with a cat's food that they will be willing to eat. For most minor injuries in feral cats I end up doing nothing and letting them heal on their own. For wounds with infections I usually prescribe liquid amoxicillin (has a bubble gum flavor). Oddly enough, feral cats will tend to accept this better than other antibiotics. Prescription drugs like this have to be provided by a veterinarian with a knowledge of your animals. Contact your veterinarian in the morning to see if they will be able to assist you in getting medications for this cat. If he keeps re-injuring the same area, it may be worthwhile to trap him and take him in to be anesthetized and have that part of his ear amputated to permanently resolve the problem.

Please click accept if you found this information helpful. I will be available for follow up questions should you have any.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dave
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Dave
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.