Aging cat, good urinairy output, now had bloated belly. Feels like a balloon. Were seeing very loose stools. I belive no

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: aging cat, good urinairy output, now had bloated belly. Feels like a balloon. Were seeing very loose stools. I belive no stool in over 36 hrs. Still has appetite, but he may have had vomiting episode last night, ( we have 3 cats ) so I can't be positive it was him. The other 2 are much younger and behaving normally.
Answered by LindaR in 32 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello

It sounds very much as though Newt has ascites, which is a build-up of fluid in the abdomen. This fluid build up can be caused by numerous things, but heart failure, cancer of one of the abdominal organs or an viral condition called feline infectious peritonitis are the most common. Severe worm infestation can cause this as well, but it is usually seen in younger cats. Often, no other symptoms are noticed until the fluid starts to put pressure on the diaphragm and interferes with breathing or the affected organ starts to fail.

You are going to need to take your cat to a vet again to try and determine the cause of the abdominal distension. The diagnosis may be more apparent on examination now than it was 2 months ago. Even in the case of a developing cancer 2 months ago, the blood work and x rays could have been normal. Abdominal ultrasound may need to be performed to check for a mass in the abdomen. Heart failure cannot be diagnosed on x ray alone and he may need to have echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) performed. are needed to evaluate the abdomen. Sometimes obtaining a sample of the fluid is sufficient to make a diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is made, your vet would then be able to advise you if any treatment is possible.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

LindaR
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.