Hello, My older cat may have eatten a mildly sprayed if not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello,
My older cat may have eatten a mildly sprayed if not drifted spray over on a weed patch near but not directly hit with the product, weed-be-gone!! He is demonstrating, crouching, moaning, staying very still, spitting up, not eating or drinkg, diarhea, for 2 days. He stood over water bowl wanting to drink but seems week. I've droppoer forced water down him, and it stayed. Went online and remembered pediolite was great for dehydration, administered this and he held it down. Then all in same hour, gave him some baby food, again, had to force feed. He kept that down for about 30min. Now last, I had charcoal caplet onhand, opened and poured about a third or fourth of it to about an ounce of water. Charcoal tablets always help me if I suffer from food poisoning. Anyway, he seems stable at the moment. Can you think of anything else? Or anything better to do? He seems alert and not moaning for the moment. Honestly, I don't think the vet could do anything other than this. Should I try milk magnesia? I believe he probably has cramp or very upset stomach at the moment. And seems better today than yesterday. So, hopefully, he's rounded the corner.
Thanks, Rene'
Answered by Dr. Spencer in 24 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Spencer
5+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. You are right to be concerned about him. Unfortunately cats can go into Hepatic Lipidosis fairly quickly, within a few days, of not eating. This is where they start mobilizing fat from other parts of their body into their liver cells, leading to liver failure. There may not be any other clinical signs besides the decreased appetite until they become jaundice, which may take days to a week or more. Unfortunately we cannot solve every case from the computer with home treatments. In Bogie's case, I would absolutely recommend taking him to the vet for a physical exam, where they can assess his hydration status (animals can become dehydrated VERY quickly, which can make everything worse). I would ask to have blood work done at a minimum, although x-rays would be a good idea as well. The blood work will tell you about his liver and kidneys, not to mention his white and red blood cell counts. I would recommend having him stay over night on IV fluids and IV medications for upset stomach and possibly antibiotics to be on the safe side, however if this is not a possibility financially, I would at least have the blood work done to make sure there is nothing underlying that is causing a problem. I would hold off on the Mylanta until you know what his blood looks like, as well as his vet may be able to give him something more appropriate. Unfortunately if he continues to have a decreased appetite, he may need a feeding tube. Even if you decline diagnostics (which I would not recommend), his vet may also be able to give you prescription food that is easier to syringe feed and is calorie dense so you don't have to force feed quite as often.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Dr. Spencer
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Spencer
logo
logo
logo
5+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Spencer
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.