Is it safe to give a 5kg cat Ciprfloxacin antibiotic for a soft tissue infection in the corner of his mouth (external

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Is it safe to give a 5kg cat Ciprfloxacin antibiotic for a soft tissue infection in the corner of his mouth (external wound - not in the mouth)?

What can I use to clean the small wound which has a bad smell?

Thank you
Answered by Rebeccavet in 1 hour 12 years ago
imglogo
Rebeccavet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi Ozzy and Cleo,
This is an information request, to help me answer your question.

What strength of ciprofloxacin do you have?

How did Ozzy get this wound?

Customer

Hi Rebecca

I have Ciprafloxacin 250mg. tablets which I can break into quarters making then 62,5mg doses.

Ozzy got the wound in a fight with the neighbours cat.

If it is safe, what is the dose?

Regards

Chris

Hi, Chris!

I saw you had been waiting a few hours, and figured I'd jump in. Rebecca, I hope you don't mind--I figure you got tied up with a morning emergency!

To address your question, Chris, please know that there is no perfectly safe drug, and legally, I CANNOT recommend medications for an animal I have not examined. THat being said, 62.5 mg twice daily for 7 to 14 days for a 5 kg cat would be a typical dose--though near the high end, so be sure you have the weight right. (the range is 5 to 15 mg/kg).

Cipro toxicity can cause gi upset, nervous disorders, and urinary tract changes. THese are unusual, but do occur, so be sure to get Ozzy to a vet at the first sign of trouble. The big thing we worry about with cipro are cartilage changes in young growing animals. I assume you meant Ozzy is 4 years, not four months, so this is probably not something you need to worry about.

Regardless of whether you use an antibiotic. the most important thing with any wound is to keep it immaculately clean. Use a warm, wet cloth to compress the area for 5 minutes, then wipe away any debris, blood, or pus. Do this 3 times a day for 5 days. Often, infected wounds will pop and drain a large amount of pus. Once this happens, although it looks terrible, the cat often feels a lot better. These things are painful, so see your vet about pain management. DO NOT use over the counter pain medicine for cats (ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen!!! They are often fatal!!

Hope Ozzy gets to feeling better!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rebeccavet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rebeccavet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.