My cat is whining and rolling on her back. She stops whining when you scratch her back and hind legs.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat is whining and rolling on her back. She stops whining when you scratch her back and hind legs.
Answered by Dr Anne in 10 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr Anne
6+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi,Customer

Sounds like your Buttercup is in heat!! I can't tell for sure from a description, but it fits the classic picture: howling, writhing around, 'presenting' her hind end with her tail off to the side. (There's a reason so many naughty words relate to cats!!)

Unspayed cats will go in and out of heat repeatedly. If she is spayed, there is a possibility of what's called remnant ovarian syndrome. If she is not spayed, Please get her fixed ASAP! She will likely have wanderlust, and could get out and get injured, in addition to the risks of being pregnant, giving birth (not a safe process), and then all those homeless kittens! Then, as she ages, she will have risks of uterine infections and cancer. Not to mention, though it may be cute at first, a cat in heat can be just plain annoying!!

Have your vet check her to be sure, and let me know if this doesn't seem to fit what you are seeing.

-Dr. Anne

Customer

That is what we thought. We have never had cats before. How long will this episode last . She is a rescued cat and we dont know if she has been fixed or not. We live in the country on a lake and she comes and goes through a cat door. I know we need to get her to a vet. She was dumped out of a car last summer and I took her in. She is a beautiful pet.

This episode may last 3 to 7 days, but the concern is, it will likely happen again within a few days after it stops!! on and on and on until she gets pregnant! When/if it stops, assume she is pregnant. Many vets will still spay a cat if she is pregnant, but it is certainly safer the earlier in the pregnancy. Many owners are resistant to the idea of spaying a pregnant cat, but keep in mind many thousands of cats are euthanized every day in this country because they have no home. If you do have noble ambitions of taking care of the kittens, think of the vet bills for all those little ones!! Ugh!!

Dr Anne40220.9750461806

Thank you,Customer

Let me know if you need further clarification on any of this!

-Dr. Anne

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr Anne
logo
logo
logo
6+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr Anne
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.