Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

How do I give my constipated cat an enema. I am a nurse.

How do I give my...
How do I give my constipated cat an enema. I am a nurse. She was just at a vet last week for the same problem and I can't pay another $486 for x-rays and treatment again as I am newly retired and just moved here. She is 6 yrs old , in good health, but she is hibernating under the covers and sleeping much of the time since I have moved and she has become an indoor cat with nothing to do- no mice or chipmunks to hunt, no bird population to control, and no squirrels to harrass. I have given her 3 doses of Reglan which they gave me (q12h) with no sucess. She is still eating and drinking some, obviously not a lot. Hydration appears pretty decent at this point. No stool for 4 days. Problem last week was in the transverse colon. X rays showed nothing else.
12/30/2009
Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth, Veterinarian

I will try to help you as best as I can without being able to see her, xrays, bloodwork etc.

I can tell you the process of how to give an enema to a cat. If there is any vomiting with the enemas, then stop the enema.

Obtain a 60 cc syringe that can accomidate a needle on the end. Then get a redrubber catherter. THe french doesn't matter as long as it isn't too large for the cat. You will need a christmas tree adapter or a pair of scissors to trim the end off the red rubber catheter so that it can fit on the end of the 60 cc syringe.

THe material for the enema is warm water and lubrication (KY jelly is fine) Do not use phosphate containing enemas as these are very bad for cats.

Do 60 cc of warm water and lube MAXIMUM at each enema. Place the red rubber about 12 inches into the rectum/colon. It is difficult to know if there is curling of the catheter, so it may not be getting as high up as we would like. I would try one enema, see how it goes. I have plenty of clients that give enemas at home successfully. I will say that a stool softener would be ideal in this situation. You can get miralax over the counter. GIve 1/4-1/2 tsp twice daily.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth, Veterinarian
So Miralax for humans is ok? How do you get it in them?

Yes, it is great! You mix it in to their food. If you have access to lactulose syrup, this is the other option, and you would give 0.5 cc/kg body weight twice daily, and adjust dose as neccessary.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth, Veterinarian
Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth
Dr. Elizabeth, Veterinarian