Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have noticed very very tiny black bugs that resemble a comma

Customer Question
and curl up into a...
I have noticed very very tiny black bugs that resemble a comma and curl up into a black tiny spec when touched or sprayed on my bed where my cat was. What could it be? He is a house cat -- never goes outside.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/29/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Is your cat scratching himself? Do you notice any thing that looks like specks of dirt or pepper on him or in the bed?

He scratches himself but only very little, not often. Yes I notice specs that look like pepper.
If you take some of these specs and put them on a damp piece of white paper towel, do they smear (push them around) and leave a rust like stain?
Yes they do leave a rust stain and appear to smear. Oh great tell me its poop ...
Did my reply go through about the specs leaving a rust stain?

Ok. That staining means that the material / specks are flea feces / poop. So there is a very good possiblity that the tiny black bugs could be fleas. IF they aren't, then there are fleas somewhere in the environment. I would take him to your vet to have him quickly checked over and to have them recommend some flea products that they carry. They have the good stuff that will work. Here is a good link on fleas.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1575

Dr. bruce

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian