Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

my cat is coughing up white foamy phlegm, he wants to eat but

Customer Question
then the phlegm strats and...
my cat is coughing up white foamy phlegm, he wants to eat but then the phlegm strats and he coughs up what he ate. It was worse last night and is better this morning but he only ate a little since the phlegm started so he walked away from the food.

What should we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/8/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Is the cat coughing or vomiting up the phlegm?
Seems more like vomiting. He just ate a good amount of wet food and so far ( 5 minutes ) hasn't gagged like he was last night and earlier this morning. He was gagging after he ate anything and it was phlegm he was vomiting up, white foamy. He does have Kitty Aids also but has always been very healthy.
In a cat this age, kidney disease, thyroid disorders, diabetes and cancer are all possible. The FIV virus is another possible cause. The cat will need blood tests and radiographs to get a specific diagnosis. Cats can have 2.5 mg of Pepcid AC per 10 pounds body weight every 24 hours for the vomiting if he can keep it down. If not, he needs to be examined if the vomiting continues.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian