Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

2 week old kitten with rectal bleeding - is this worms

Customer Question
??...
2 week old kitten with rectal bleeding - is this worms ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Rectal bleeding in kittens this small can be from parasites (worms, coccidia, giardia) or just from overzealous stimulation. I'm guessing that this is a bottle raised kitten and somebody is stimulating him to go to the bathroom every day. This is always going to be more traumatic than mom's tongue and can lead to some irritation.

I'd probably do a fecal test to rule out coccidia as it's very common in young kittens. You can also look for worms and giardia at the same time. If worms or giardia, then the Pancur should take care of it. If Coccidia, then you'll need Albon to treat it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian