Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

cat: is throwing up everyday at least once..fine otherwise...hairball

Customer Question
My cat is throwing up...
My cat is throwing up everyday at least once. She seems fine otherwise. Sometimes there's a small hairball, but most days not. It usually takes place in the early morning hours or late evening. Nothing in her environment has changed in years and she is still eating the same foods as always. She is 12. I am very concerened that there may be a serious underlying cause. Should I see our vet again?
He seemed to think it was a hairball problem, but I'm not so sure. The vomit is always light brown and sometimes a little undigested food - no unlike human vomit.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/29/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
How is her appetite?
Is she losing weight?
Has there been a change in water consumption?
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Her appetite is fine and she's not losing weight and she drinks plenty of water. Her pee and stool look fine. A lot times she wants to eat when she shouldn't be hungry and then she'll throw up if she does. I've heard her stomach making "noises" before she throws up too.
A few things that concern in older vomiting cats. First, an overactive thyroid can cause some of these signs. Typically you can see an increase in appetite with weight loss, vomiting and an incrase in water consumption. However, all of these symptoms do not need to be present but they are typical. Kidney disease can also manifest with mild increases in water consumption and vomiting. Also a disorder called megaesophagus (can be secondary to hyperthyroidism) is possible among other issues. A tri to the vet and a basic blood test can rule in or rule out many of these issues. In the meantime, you can give 1/4 pepcid a/c or tagment with a teaspoon of maalox twice daily for the vomiting. IF this does not help, I would definitely see your vet.
I hope this helps and gives you direction
Thanks

Dr. Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian