Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My cat just vomited up these worms that look like fetuccine

My cat just vomited up these worms that look like fetuccine noodles and they are several inches long. What could this possibly be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

These worms are likely tapeworms, but they could be roundworms as well. Tapeworms are not harmful to people, but roundworms are, so I would assume the worst. I would collect a fresh stool sample from your kitty tomorrow morning and take her to your vet along with the sample so that they could figure out what she has and how to treat it. Bring the worms with you as well. Make sure you wash your hands well after cleaning the litter box.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But arent tape worms the ones that look like rice? And the roundworms are the ones that look like "tape" or noodles?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 8 years ago.
graphic

Above are roundworms, they look like spaghetti.

Tapeworms look like rice granules, you are right, but only if they come out as segments; if they come out as a whole worm (or a portion of it), they look like flat noodles, like fettuccine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay. So, tapeworms can be 3-5inches long and vomited up from the stomach? I have only seen them look like rice and are usually coming from the stool.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 8 years ago.
You are right, tapeworms are not usually vomited up, they do pass in the stool, most commonly. However, what you are describing sounds like tapeworms, because they are flat. Roundworms can be quite large and thick and may look a bit flat, but they are usually round. Hookworms and whipworms, other common parasites, are much smaller. It is hard to say for sure, without seeing them. The fact that they were vomited up makes me believe that they are roundworms, but your description doesn't quite match. I think your best bet is to assume they are roundworms since they are worse and to take your kitty, the worms and her stool sample to your vet tomorrow so that they sort it all out and treat her accordingly.