Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has lost use of his back legs. I do not know if he

Customer Question
My cat has lost use...
My cat has lost use of his back legs. I do not know if he was hit by a car or a person. I have him in his "room" in the back of the garage. He is eating very well and drinking, he just can't walk. Should I consider having him put down? I love him dearly, he adopted me several years ago. I just do not know what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/8/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

DearCustomer

I am sorry to hear that. It is a tough situation for sure.

When did this happen?

Are his back feet the same temperature as his front feet when you touch them?

What color are his gums?

Can he go the bathroom?

Hello, I cannot touch his feet or look at his gums, he is not that docile. He can go to the bathroom, just has a problem lifting himself into the litter box. Last night, during the night, he had diareah outside the box. He is eating well.

I think this must have happened about three days ago,. He didn't come to eat morning or evening, guess he was laying somewhere.

Thank you.

Do you think he is getting any better than when you saw him the first day?

Could he do anything if you touched his feet? Put a big towel over his head and have someone help you if you feel that is safe????

Can you look at the color of his paw pads then? This only works if they are pink. Do they all look the same color?

I am trying to figure out if he has a blood clot blocking blood flow to his hind legs or he has a pelvic fracture.

I went to give him dinner and noticed that he had been over to the door, probably looking to go out, he had also made his way back to where he had been sleeping previously. When he realised I was there he surprised me by standing up, briefly,he fell to the side and then pulled himself to me and the food. He was more thirsty than hungry this time. He has a comfortable quiet room with food, water, beds and litter box, although I noticed he was wet around the back end. He keeps moving his legs.

No problem, if necessary I will have my Daughter help me bathe him tomorrow.

What do you think?

I would not euthanise him yet.

Can you put him in a room where there is nothing to jump on?

A room the size of a bathroom would be good. Or if you have a little cage?

Of course going to the vet is always the best thing. I assume funds are tight?

Try to keep him quiet and still.

They do make cat muzzles and sell them at the pet stores. I think they cost $6-$8.

Keep giving me updates.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for your replies.

He is in his own room, nothing to jump on, he never jumps on things anyway.

I am going to the vet tomorrow to pick up Heartgard for the dogs so I may take him too, although you are quite right, funds are tight.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. I think he is going to have a pelvic fracture. I cant diagnose over the computer obviously. But there is still hope : )
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian