Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

cat: give my..lb crf..tums as a phosphate binder

my vet said to give my 8 lb crf cat Tums as a phosphate binder. I didnt belive it. Is this true...and what does, because I didn't ask my vet. What other OTC binders can I use (she doesn't like Ampogel)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Your vet is correct, any product that has aluminum in it binds phosphorous. Some cats find the tums less offensive than the amphogel. Another product that can be used is Alternagel, it is similar to the Amphogel. The bad news is that all the phosphorous binders taste awful to cats whether OTC or prescription, phosphate binders however are very very important. There are things like epikatin and azodyl that may taste better but they are prescription. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan