VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439
Cat Veterinary

Why is my cats pee foamy

Why is my cat's pee... Show More
Why is my cat's pee foamy?
It is hard to say for sure, but there are a few reasons.

Protein in any fluid will create foam when the fluid splashes around. Your cat can have protein in his urine for many reasons.
  • Urinary tract infections often increase the amount of protein in urine due to the presence of bacteria and the inflammatory cells that are there to kill the bacteria.
  • Blood in the urine can increase protein, this can be present due to infection or inflammation or due to a bleeding disorder. If the urine is not red or really dark, this is not as likely to be causing the problem
  • Bladder stones cause inflammation or can potentiate infections. They also cause increases in protein because of the inflammatory cells.
  • Mucus in the urine also makes urine foamy. Male cats are known to have quite a bit of mucus in their urine and this can predispose them to urinary tract blockage.
  • Kidney disease can add a little or a lot of protein to the urine. Damage to the filtration structures of the kidney can allow protein to be lost from the blood into the urine. This can be a serious problem
I hope this has offered you some possibilities. A urinalysis, urine culture, urine protein:creatinine ratio and a serum biochemistry profile can provide you with a lot of information to help you determine if there is a problem with your cat. If you have noticed him straining a lot to urinate or if he is drinking and urinating more than usual, these are good signs that he should be evaluated by a veterinarian.

Dr. Shadwick

Please let me know if this has been helpful. Feedback is always appreciated.