Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Can I give my cat bactrim or penicillian for a bladder infection

Customer Question
and if so how much???...
Can I give my cat bactrim or penicillian for a bladder infection and if so how much???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/30/2009
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
HiCustomer

Do you have access to these drugs?

yes i do

Bactrim reads smz/tmz ps 800-150

penicillian i can get in 30,000 ml per pound liquid

I would say that for a urinary tract infection these two drugs are not typically the first ones to be utilized. The bactrim can have adverse side effects in cats such as: anorexia, crystalluria, hematuria, leukopenias and anemias. These side effects could be more serious than the urinary tract infection itself. So I wouldn't recommend its use.

The Penicillin is a drug that comes in a liquid, but it most likely is an injectable liquid. Administration of that is not recommended for owners to do at home.

I saw in an earlier post another veterinarian recommended using clavamox. This is one of the oral antibiotics that has very good efficacy and is very safe. Do you think you could go to your vet for a prescription for that medication?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
my vet reccomends she be put down because of her age (she just urned 14) he has done this to me before and I was able to get hold of some clavamox from a friend who was a breeder at the time and she was back to normal in no time. I really don't take my animals to the vet unless it's a dier situation because his answer is always to put them to sleep instead of trying to treat the problem. All the other vets in my area are booked up and can not get her in to be seen for at least a week and I feel this will certainly cause her problem to be severe by that time. She cries out at random times mostly at night and wonders aimlessly around the house. She eats well and responds to us when we call her and pet her I just don't understand the crying and she looks liks she is guarding her back area. I just don't know what to do at this point.... I am desperate for something to help her I just won't believe she is at a stage she should be put to sleep!!!!
I am a former vet car worker and a nurse of 30 years I have given numerous injections to my animals in the past. I have nursed may cats far beyond the life expectancy any vet has given them. I am not a stranger yo giving antibiotics via injection I just do not know the ratio of breaking down the doseage as the penicillian is for farm animals not domestic animals.
I would say that your previous experiences do make the administration of injectable antibiotics a possibility, but do we want to use an antibiotic that might not be the best for a possible urinary tract infection. I'm always trying to make sure that we above all else - do no harm to the pet. That is my main concern.

As far as your regular vet that always throws out the option of euthanasia, I'm thinking going back to him/her is not in your little one's best interest. I'm a little baffled by the fact that no other vet in the area can't get your little one in to be seen in under a week. Did you explain your situation and your desire to be seen immediately? I would say that it is very, very rare for a practice to be that booked up - and for numerous ones to be that booked up?

The exact dosages on the penicillin vary depending on the exact type of penicillin.

I do believe, like yourself, that most likely isn't at a stage to be let go. I sense your desire to help this little one out (can you tell me her name) and I would feel that your efforts would be best achieved by getting her seen by another vet. The next one you see may be the most compassionate and helpful individual you've ever met and you'll be so glad you did just that.

Her name isXXXXX was born the same month as my daughter so she is a very special kitty to me... not that they all arent special but i feel a different bond with this one. I have lost 4 cats in the past year to age, illness, and human error (one poor kitty was accidentally locked in a storage facility and at rat poison. I just cant bear to loose Simone too. I did find an emergencey vet in the next city over, our city is not that big, and I am awaiting on a call as to when they can see her in their office. I am just like everyone else these days I have littlte money, my daughter is special needs and my health is not well so we take up allot of our income in doctor visits and medication ourselves but the bills will just have to wait this week, I refuse to let my baby girl die. You have been so help ful thank you so much!!!
I'm glad that you'll be able to get Simone in here soon. I know that this course of action will give her the best chance to pull through this. I feel that you and your family have been through some tough times, but hopefully this situation will have a good outcome. Please let me know how she does. I'll keep this thread open, ok?

I'm hoping again for the best,

Hi Dr. Bruce,

I took Simone to a local vet after hours of calling I found one than ran on after hours emergency hours. They gave her fluids and antibiotics took blood woor and sent her home. At the time of the appointment her temp was only 99 so they suggested I make her a bed with a heating pad to keep her warm. When we cam hom she laid down and never got up again. She was walking eating drinking before we went to the vet and when we got home home she just laid there refusing to eat drink or even get up to go to the bathroom. I stayed with her and kept her clean and dry so the heating pad wouldnt get wet too then at 11:30am July 1,2009 she stoped breathing. The doctor called later in the day with the blood work they said her kidney level was 156 which was the highest she had ever seen in a living feline. Oviously she had kidney disease. But she is with the angels now and not in any pain, that is what is most important. Thank you for all your help!!

Sarah

Sarah,

I'm very sorry to hear how things turned out with your little one, Simone. It is hard to loose one that has been a part of your life for such a long time. I fully believe too, that when they leave our presence here on earth they are in another place where they have no pains or ills - only happiness. I know that you'll keep her memories with you all the time.

My deepest sympathy,
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian