Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat who has IBD and intestinal lymphoma was given a DepoMedrol

shot on May 7. She...
My cat who has IBD and intestinal lymphoma was given a DepoMedrol shot on May 7. She has had diarrhea in the last few days and was put on Metronidazole 50 mg twice per day. Now she is not eating. Is this a side effect of this drug?
5/21/2009
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. It is possible that the depomedrol could be causing a liver problem, gastric ulceration or diabetes. Was bloodwork checked before the injection? Even if it was, I would be inclined to check it again to see if there are any other problems occurring. It is also possible for the metronidazole to cause anorexia as well. It is also possible that it could be the intestinal cancer that is causing the anorexia. I would call your vet tomorrow and let them know. They may want you to stop the metronidazole intially to see if that works. I prefer to use prednisone daily instead of the depomedrol. When you give the injection, you cannot take it back. With oral prednisone, you can always change the dosage around if complications occur. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian