CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat is pregnant i dont know how far along. she has a swollen

Customer Question

my cat is pregnant i dont know how far along. she has a swollen belly and nipples are out. shes been lying around last two days. Was a little active this morning, but now is under my bed, and has been for a couple of hours
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

How to determine if your cat is pregnanct is an excellent question!

In general I would say there are 3 ways that we can test if a cat is pregnant.

1) X-rays - usually not useful until at least day 43 of pregnancy due to the need for the fetal skeletons to be calcified to see on x-ray

2) Ultrasound - with this test, an experienced ultrasonographer can tell quite early if there is a fetus present - even looking at the heartbeat.

3) The final way is for your veterinarian to do an examination and try to feel the kittens.

With that said - if there is a concern - the recommendation would be to make an appointment with your veterinarian. On examination they can try to palpate (feel) the kittens and consider x-rays or ultrasound if available).

I hope this information guides and helps you.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I dont have a lot of money for all of that. i do know she is pregnant, but I dont know how far along she is. From what i read the stomach dont grow until 5 weeks. so I know shes at least that, but her being inactive etc. is what makes me think shes further than that. My neighbor said shed probably have them in a week
If she is only 5 weeks, or about 35 days, then she is only about 1/2 way done. The normal pregnancy term for a cat is approximately 63 days.

If she is very large, then I would suspect closer to 45 or 50 days.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Uh i pushed on her stomach gently, to see if i felt anything, I felt a tiny kick. does that help with gestional age
Unfortunately not specifically - although it may raise our suspicion that she is far along...but kicking doesnt help differentiate between 40 days or 45 days or 50 days if that is what you are referring to...

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so she almost due than within a week or so
Yep - I would say within the next week to 2 weeks you should have some kittens!