Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

HELP. My 2 week old kittens have crusty eyes, and when they

Customer Question
do open them they are...
HELP. My 2 week old kittens have crusty eyes, and when they do open them they are BLACK. All of them. What does this mean, aren't all kittens supposed to have blue eyes? They are nursing and supplemented with tubing. Mom is Tonkinese. HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/11/2009
Cat Veterinarian: purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
purrdoc
purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there-

I would be glad to help you.

First of all, I have a few questions:

What color is the crusts around their eyes...red/brown, green, yellow, white, etc?

Are they feeding ok and pretty active?

How long ago did the eyes open?

Were you looking at the eyes in bright or dim light?

Thanks and I will wait for your reply.

Well, dark brown or black. Once today, when I wiped with soft bit of gauze and warm water, the eyes fluttered open and showed yellow pus on one kitten. But mostly just black and shut tight. They were in dim light, and the eyes, each of the kitten's eyes, are black. One did have both eyes open for a day or two, but one is closed again now, and they are black. No white of the eyes at all. I suppose they're active. They sleep a lot. They are not content to be held without crying though. Not sure what they are supposed to do at 2 weeks. They do not move around in their box. They sleep, eat, cry for Mom. They move around slightly, usually to find Mom and nurse better.

Hello again-

Thanks for the additional information.

Brown or dark crusts can be normal but the yellow discharge indicates bacterial infection. Terramycin eye ointment used to be available over the counter but I'm not sure if it still is. This is an antibiotic eye ointment that is safe in kittens. You could try rinsing the eyes out with regular saline solution 2-3 times daily. Most contact lens solutions are now multi-purpose, meaning they are used for cleaning, storage, and disinfecting. If you can't find just plain saline solution, ask a pharmacist.

Sometimes eye infections are the start of a respiratory infection. Make extra sure each kitten is nursing, pink in color, warm, and grunts or mews regularly. This is about all they will do at this age. If they start to sneeze, or especially if they start to act ill and not really want to nurse, they should be seen asap.

Their vision is extremely poor right now, even though the eyes are open. The black color you are seeing is probably the pupils being dilated, especially if it was in dim light. You might want to look at them closer in bright light. You should then be able to tell the difference between the pupil (black) and the iris (blue). It is common not to see the white of the eye sometimes.

Make sure you have mom on a high quality, preferably canned food. Here is the latest recommendations for feeding cats: www.catinfo.org. I will attach the nutritional handout we use at our feline only clinic below.

High Protein/ Low Carb (grain-free) diets

Nutritionally speaking, cats are "obligate carnivores". This means they need very high levels of protein to thrive and don't have a very good ability for utilizing carbohydrates (grains, sugars). Cats also need some nutrients that can only be obtained from animal tissue, not plants. By ancestry, cats are descendents of desert cats (African wild cat, F. lybica). This is why they have very concentrated urine and don't need to drink as much as other species of similar size. In the wild, cats hunt primarily small rodents and birds as prey. All these creatures are about 70% moisture. This is how wild cats get most of their water requirements.

Now let's think about what we typically feed our cats over their lifetime. They usually get most of their food in the form of dry kibble. Some people feed canned food but rarely exclusively. This traditional way of feeding cats presents two major problems as discussed below.

First, most of the common brands of cat foods are full of carbohydrates in the form of grains (corn, rice, soy, wheat). As "obligate carnivores", cats aren't designed to use high levels of carbohydrates for nutrition. Cats specifically do not have the enzymes in their liver or saliva that are optimal to process carbohydrates. Their mouths, teeth, digestive tracts, pancreas, and liver are specifically designed for a high protein diet. So why are most pet food companies putting so many grains (carbs) into cat food? The answers could be many including convenience, larger profit margins, or the mistaken conception that cats are small dogs. When reading the ingredient label on food, a meat source is usually listed first but this doesn't mean the diet is high protein. If the next several ingredients are a form of grain (listed above), this is a high carbohydrate food. Plants do contain protein, but for an obligate carnivore like cats, this is a lower quality protein. Animal based proteins have biologic values (a measure of usability) ranging from 100% (egg) to 78% (beef). Plant based proteins range from 67% (soybean) to 45% (corn).

What does a carbohydrate loaded diet mean in the long run to your cat? High carbohydrates can predispose to obesity, just like in people. Diabetes is common in cats and high carb diets and obesity are known to be risk factors. Obesity also leads to arthritis. Add to this scenario the typical spoiled, well-loved cat that doesn't have to "hunt" for its food, and you have a sedentary lifestyle that also increases the risk of obesity and diabetes. It is known that a high carb diet actually changes the ph level and thus the bacterial types that grow in the mouth and digestive tracts. This change in bacterial content can lead to intestinal problems in some cats. Grains can be a source of allergies for some cats too.

The second problem a dry diet creates is a potentially dehydrated cat. Wild cats get most of their moisture from the prey they eat (mouse=70% water). The average dry food is only 10% water. Most feline practitioners and internal medicine specialists are now recommending an exclusively canned diet since the moisture in canned food most closely mimics their natural prey. It is thought that the lack of moisture in dry diets can contribute to urinary tract disease such as cystitis, crystals, and stones.

Many people have been told canned food is bad for teeth and can lead to dental disease. This is only partially true. Although canned food can leave more residue on the teeth than dry food, dry food does virtually nothing to help keep the teeth clean. It would be the equivalent of your dentist telling you it is ok to eat crunchy cookies to help clean your teeth. There are a few dental diets on the market that do a better job at scraping plaque off the teeth, but they are high carb and are only minimally effective at actual cleaning. The real reason for dental disease is lack of daily care. Obviously it is difficult to get a cat to accept daily tooth brushing, but there are some "cat friendly" options available. Your veterinarian can advise you on these products.

So what should your cat eat for optimal health? The more moisture your cat receives, the better. If your cat loves canned food and you don't mind feeding it exclusively, it is currently thought to be the best option as it mimics their moisture requirement. Grain-free canned food is the lowest in carbohydrates. If your cat refuses to eat canned food, the grain free dry foods are still the best option nutritionally. Many cats will accept the dry food with some water added. It is imperative to have fresh water available at all times.

It is important to realize there is no such thing as the perfect pet food. Changing brands every once and a while or mixing brands may help ensure your cat gets the best each company has to offer. It is also good to offer variety so we don't train our cats to become finicky eaters. There are many grain free dry and canned foods on the market. High protein levels may not be advisable for select medical conditions. Please talk to your veterinarian regarding the recommendations for your cat.

High Protein/Low Carbohydrate Food Data Sheet

Please visit these company's websites for detailed information.

Protein Source

May be single or combined sources - read label to verify.

Brand - Canned Food

Kcal count

Seafood

Poultry

Beef or

Red Meat

Game

Egg Sources

Before Grain

*

X

X

X

X

Blue Buffalo Wilderness

*

X

Evanger's

*

X

X

X

X

Innova Evo

*

X

X

X

Instinct

*

X

X

X

Newman's Own Grain Free

*

X

Pinnacle

*

X

X

Wellness Core

*

X

X

Weruva

*

X

X

X

*Canned foods usually range about 30-40 calories per ounce with little variance between brands. These are not ranked in order.

Dry foods are listed with calories (kcal/cup) lowest to highest for your convenience.

Brand - Dry Food

Kcal count

Seafood

Poultry

Beef or

Red Meat

Game

Egg Sources

Taste of the Wild

390/cup

X

X

X

Before Grain

406-409/cup

X

X

Indigo Moon

450/cup

X

X

X

Instinct

474-491/cup

X

X

Wellness Core

536/cup

X

X

Orijen

540/cup

X

X

X

Pinnacle

562/cup

X

X

Blue Buffalo Wilderness

587/cup

X

X

Innova Evo

612/cup

X

X

Thanks. I think I hear the odd sneeze or two. Not a lot. But perhaps they should be seen. Are respiratory infections serious? I might have terrimysin leftover from my cat (now the Mom). When she was a kitten, she had an eye infection. Can I apply this? But will it help if it's a respiratory infection? They are not sneezing often. Just one of them are sneezing once a day, even Mom occassionally sneezes. Should I try the ointment?

Hi there-

An occasional sneeze can be perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about this unless it becomes obvious. Most upper respiratory infections are viral and won't necessarily respond to antibiotics. The most important thing to do would be to have them checked if you notice that they aren't gaining weight. At this young age, weighing them daily with a kitchen scale that measures in ounces is the best way to tell if they are healthy.

You can use this ointment as long as it is terramycin and isn't expired. Use it twice daily in only the kitten(s) with the yellow color. No, it won't treat an actual upper respiratory infection.

Let me know if I can do anything else. Thanks!

purrdoc
purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian
purrdoc
purrdoc
purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian