Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinarian for dogs, cats and pocket pets.
6877700

My cat wont move. Hes just laying on his side. He threw

My cat won't move. He's just laying on his side. He threw up the night before, but now he's just not moving much at all. He won't eat or drink, or even meow. Just looks at me. What's wrong with him?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

I just have a few questions for you before we get started:

• Do you know if your cat is urinating ok?
  • Does he go outside at all?
  • Is he able to walk?
  • How old is he?

Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This cat is usually outside (though I personally would rather he stay inside, but my parents won't allow it for some reason), so I'm not sure how he's urinating. I've kept him in my room since last night and he hasn't gone to the litter box (can't even move to probably do that). He can't walk. He tried to get up a few times last night, but just couldn't. Now he's not trying at all.. I can't physically find a problem with him. He's a senior cat - so perhaps age has something to do with his sudden behavior?

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

My first concern would be a urinary tract blockage which can cause very severe disease quite quickly.

While a cat bite wound causing a fever could do this it would be a little unusual for him to be this drastically sick so suddenly.

If he can't walk there is a possibility of a spinal issue such as a back injury or a tumor affecting the spine or a prolapsed disc.

It is also possible that he has a blood clot affecting the flow of blood to his back legs. If this is the case you will notice that his back feet feel a lot colder than his front feet.

There are a multitude of other possible problems in an older cat.

Regardless, this cat really does need to be seen by a vet today. There really isn't much I can suggest for you to do at home other than to bring some food to him to see if he will eat, but this is not likely given the symptoms he is displaying.

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do notice that he can't move his back legs! That's why he was having such a hard time getting up last night, his back legs couldn't really get him up, so he'd lay back down. Also, he's so much softer now, soft and light. Could that mean anything specific as well? Specifically towards a blood clot?
Do you notice if his back feet feel cold compared to the front? It is usually very obvious. Often you can see that the pads are very pale as compared to the front.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I really touch the paws of his back legs, that's when I feel the small 'chill'. I don't know if him being in my room (which is warm) may have effected the obvious, since it's really, really warm down here in Orlando right about now. He squirms with his front paws. I just picked his back leg up a little, and when I let go, it really just drops. When I did the same to his front legs, there's some resistance before it drops. I also notice that he's drooling a little, when my fingers bruhes over his mouth.

It does sound like this is either a blood clot or a serious back problem. Unfortunately often there is no cure for these. Sometimes with a back problem if we treat it early enough we can reduce inflammation and resume feeling.

Your boy really does need to be seen by a vet this morning!

Dr. Marie.