Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

My current work situation is making me miserable. The

My current work situation...

My current work situation is making me miserable. The tension and drama at work coupled with a 107 mile one-way drive each day and I know I need to make some changes. Because my entire professional career has been with one company, I'm finding it very difficult for places to consider that I have work experience. The fact that I've not looked for a job in 16 years is also very difficult for me. I don't know where to begin or what to do. The only thing I know is I want a job that is closer to home, that isn't retail, and that does not take over my entire life.

Expert's Assistant: If I wasn't so happy working for JustAnswer I'd talk to one of our job experts. They either help find great new jobs for people or help them sort out problems with their current one. Is there anything else the Employment Specialist should be aware of?

I have an associates degree in Networking Engineering and a bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies however I have not used either. I started as a data entry operator, became a resource person in charge of my own data entry shift at 21, was a supervisor of data processing by 28, and for the last five years, I have been an inventory warehouse manager. Being in charge of other people is not something I enjoy. I do not deal with confrontation well and I know that is something a good manager needs to be able to handle.

3/10/2018
Michael
Michael, Employment Services

Good afternoon Jennifer,

Understand your frustration that after many years at work with the same employer and not seeing growth or opportunity present itself after doing a good job for the firm. Making a change is always stressful as finding something new after being comfortable for awhile and now issues makes things difficult. Let me offer some suggestions as to where to go next:

1. Start by looking at a book that I always refer people in your situation to. Titled "What Color is My Parachute", this title can offer much needed guidance on where your career can be going in the future. Check with your local public library to borrow a copy.

2. Begin job search and that can be done with assistance from a qualified job placement company. Take a look in your area for those that are located in your area as they can work toward getting your resume completed as well as finding employment in the field(s) that interest you the most. Also can help in the commute to work as finding employment close to home.

3. Once resume is completed, have it placed on major job boards such as Indeed.

4. Networking is very important as have a social media account with sites such as Linkedin. Having your job history along with resume can then be seen by recruiters that are looking for someone with your experience as a manager/supervisor. You write that you do not like to be in charge of other people but having this on your resume allows for opportunity for positions in leadership without having to supervise.

I would not quit the job you are in right now as that does not allow for unemployment benefits to kick in. Plan on time away from work when possible to speak to a job placement company as well as getting your resume out in the market for recruiters to see your potential. Then when you receive that great offer that you can leave your current job for something better.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Employment Services