Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

Whats the best way to get back into the job market after not…

Customer Question
Whats the best way to...
Whats the best way to get back into the job market after not working fulltime for a while but with lots of volunteering experience?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Job
11/30/2017
Career Counselor: Michael, Employment Services replied 4 months ago
Michael
Michael, Employment Services

Good morning,

This is a good time to get back to get back into the job market as the economy is continuing to grow at a decent pace and employers are looking for new help.

Having volunteer experience is a good thing as while not working full-time for awhile may show a hole in your resume. Not to worry as the volunteer work done by you can fill in the dates that you were not working in a full-time job.

In terms of how to get back in the job market search:

1. Start with contacting the many job placement agencies that can be found in your area and across the country. Agency can assist first with working to create an updated resume that shows your experience in previous work along with your volunteer experience. They can then work toward finding employment in the field you are looking at.

2. Look at freelance work that until finding either part-time or full-time employment. There are a number of freelance sites online that you can offer your experience to bring in income until either part of full-time work is found.

3. Continue if not already doing so in networking with contacts you have made both in volunteer work as well as in previous jobs. Often jobs are found not by searching job boards but networking with those you know and worked with as well as joining organizations that can assist in the search.

4. Update your social media presence in places such as Linkedin. Placing your updated resume on this site along with following other professionals in the field you are looking at as well as organizations can get your name out to recruiters that are looking for someone with your experience.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael
Michael, Employment Services