Job

Ask a Career Counselor for Answers ASAP

Job

I have a ms degree but only a small amount of experience. I

was hired by a major...
I have a ms degree but only a small amount of experience. I was hired by a major company Fortune 100, As an analyst, they had two openings. One for a analyst the other for a manager. With my MS I was over qualified for the analyst position (except for the experience) and did not meet the experience level for the manager.
I have been working there for less then one year, and they still have not found a manager (very special skill set) and I have been doing the work of the manager.
I have been told that I will get the manager's position soon the question is my salary is ok for the analyst position but very low for the managers position. In order for them to get me to 90% Compa-Ratio I would have to get a 50% increase.
In the last few months I have gotten inquires from other companies looking to interview me with a starting salary that is 50% more then I am making.
I would like to stay where I am what do I do?
10/8/2017
Michael
Michael, Employment Services

Good evening Bill,

From everything you have stated, it sounds like you are more than qualified for the manager position within your company.

Understand how difficult it is to wait for a position within the company and not knowing if and when it will happen. Sometimes the reason why the wait to get the job is budget related. Knowing that you want to stay, it might be a good time to speak with management to see if there might be a timeline when you can expect to have a solid answer on when you would get the manager job. Since you are also getting interest from other companies, it might not be a bad thing to at least go to an interview to hear what is being offered. This will then give you a better feel as if your current company continues to take its time on a decision that you could have something else in the background.

Only you can make the decision on if to stay or leave as advancing in your career could be found elsewhere with another company. If financially you can wait it out for a bit to see if your current company will offer you the position then by all means wait. But if months go by and still nothing, then possibly look for other offers to build on your career.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They have already informed me that I will be getting the new position and a raise. They have stated that they realize that I am paid under market for the work I am doing and intend to give me a raise to avoid me leaving. Since they know how difficult it would be to replace me. Not only for my skill set but because of my company knowledge that I have gained.
The problem is that since I am already onboard I would believe that there are controls to prevent the kind of raise in pay needed to bring me into the right pay scale for my position.
So not knowing what to ask for that is reasonable for all. First as most of a raise as meets there restrictions. Reimbursement for some more educational courses I want to take (job related). Deferred points or whatever you call it for the next raise and annual bonus. (Don't qualify for bonus because of my current position yet would for the work I am doing and the future position I will have)

Glad to hear first that you have been given the position. As for what to ask, have everything in writing if at all possible. Then you can go back and inform those in charge that you are expected to receive what was asked (raise at a certain time frame to courses that you wish to take).

From various article on raises recently, look at a raise between 5 and 10 percent. The more the amount though the amount of work could increase because of the work involved.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Michael
Michael
Michael, Employment Services