Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

I've had two phone interviews, and in the second one, they…

I've had two phone interviews...
I've had two phone interviews, and in the second one, they said they would bring me in for a third one, but that was almost a month ago.....I sent a thank you note from the second, ccing both the recruiter who set it up, and the person who the third interview was with...two weeks later I sent examples of my work, again ccing both the (Internal) recruiter and the lead, left a message with to make sure they got it, no response....This position would really be up my alley...I know the internal recruiter won't like to be bugged about my coming in....but what options do I have to show them that I still want the job, and get my name back to the top?
10/5/2017
Michael
Michael, Employment Services

Good morning Nathan,

You have done what job experts want in following up with any interview. Sending the thank you note along with referring to both the recruiter and those you interviewed with is often key in having your name remembered for when decisions are need to be done in terms of hiring.

Not hearing back right now is not often the case where they might be ignoring your name. Things like budget issues for not hiring right now to someone making the decisions is busy or away from the office for an extended period of time.

Reasons as well why you might not have heard back just yet as listed below:
https://www.themuse.com/advice/3-reasons-you-havent-heard-back-about-a-job-according-to-a-real-live-recruiter

http://mashable.com/2014/05/05/job-interview-silence/#DWYHSgCBfiqO

So for not knowing what might be going on, best to hold back for a bit as bugging the recruiter could make things difficult in allowing for a follow up. I might suggest waiting a bit longer (another week or two) and then possibly write a short note to the recruiter (not email as that can get lost as well as i am sure recruiter gets many and yours could get lost in the shuffle). Type out the note and then mail with asking if anything new is happening with the position and that you continue to be interested.

Until then, continue to reach out for other job offerings as if for some reason this one does not work out that you have other options to consider.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Thanks for your reply, Michael.In a similar vein, I have a long term colleague who he and I would be in touch with infrequently. He went to a new company late last year, and again, our infrequent but regular communication continued. While he didn't have anything for me right then, he had me sign an NDA, and that way when things came up, it'd be one less thing to take care of.Then in March, as he was building the department, he asked me for examples. Two weeks prior to this, I had been in a car accident, (and had let him know). Between Physical therapy and meeting with attorneys, plus my own current projects, I didn't get back to him until May. I haven't heard from him since, and the department has made at least two hires.How much crow do I need to swallow, and what is the best form for me to do so? Thanks.Nathan

Thank you for the follow up information. As to what to do next, honesty is always best so explain to the this person what had happen and if you could have a meeting to go over your credentials and what might be available now for possible employment. Do not feel that you cannot contact this person as not hearing back since May. Networking and keeping your name current with recruiters and those that can assist in finding a new career is something that does not take a day off. Go ahead and contact this person first with an email and then possibly a phone call to set up a meeting.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Employment Services