Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

I don't know what I want do for work. Whenever I look for…

Customer Question
I don't know what I...
I don't know what I want do for work. Whenever I look for jobs I always base it on the annual salary. I also have a problem, the fear I have is of failing. I want to succeed. I know that there's no guarantees in life but I still don't know what I want to do.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Job
9/28/2017
Career Counselor: Michael, Employment Services replied 8 months ago
Michael
Michael, Employment Services

Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Good afternoon,

Understand the frustration of looking for the right salary and then not getting the interview or not liking what the job may offer. Remember that looking for the base salary is the starting point as negotiation is always an option. Also know that within a year or so that you will see an increase in salary.

While there are no guarantees in life, know that with the right attitude and work ethic that you can achieve anything. Go into any interview knowing that you can do the job and allow for the interviewer to see this. Getting your foot in the door is the biggest step in finding work so accomplishing this step is the hardest. Once you get the job then just doing the work is where the easier part comes in.

Here are some tips on how to succeed in the workplace:

http://elitedaily.com/money/the-15-traits-crucial-to-your-office-success/

https://www.careerwise.mnscu.edu/jobs/succeed.html

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

What about when asked about skills?

Skills can be flexible in terms of the job that you want to interview for. Review the job description for the job you are interviewing for and see what the requirement are. You can then tailor what your skill set is in order to fit the job requirements. Much will depend on the job but letting the interviewer know that you are a person that takes charge, works hard as well as can be counted on to do a good job are skills that will stand out in an interview.

Take care,

Michael