Job

Ask a Career Counselor for Answers ASAP

Job

I applied for a job as an upper school English teacher at a

Customer Question
private school here in NYS...
I applied for a job as an upper school English teacher at a private school here in NYS (specifcally on Long Island). I interviewed with the head of the English Department there as well as the principal and performed a very successful demo lesson. The principal was telling me the nuances of the school year while I got a tour of the entire campus. The head of the English Department and I talked about literature for an hour before the demo. The students were accommodating and very respectful. My demo went well. The head of the English Department showed me the new building that was being constructed and directly alluded to the fact that if I 'accepted their offer' that is where I would be working out of. Finally, I spoke to the head master about educational philosophy and what I expect out of the position as well as having him answer any questions about the school. He was cordial and direct but very nice. The head of the English Department even walked me to my car and gave me a farewell hug. it was one of the best interviews/campus visits I have ever had. now it's eleven days later... and I am wondering why they have not gotten back to me. However, my former principal texted me and told me that he got a reference call from the school and gave them 'all good things' as well as my present supervisor. She also gave them a stellar reference. In between me finding out from former and present supervisors, and about 4 days ago, I sent the principal of the upper school a simple follow-up email about my candidacy. His reply was : "Hi Steven,
As you know we have been calling references; we are also concluding some interviews. Will be in touch soon. Hope all is going well with your family." I have two interviews/demo lessons. One tomorrow and the other Wednesday. But I really loved the school, and I want to work there. Does any of this information that I gave you indicate that they are going to hire me? I was told that once they run references (a career placement associate told me this as well as some of my friends) that I am in. is this so? I am so nervous and facing some anxiety over this waiting period. What do you think my chances are? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Job
5/15/2017
Career Counselor: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The fact that you received a note from the Principal indicating that they are still in the process of vetting you is a very good sign. They thus far have no reason to believe that they will not hire you and so you were told that the vetting process is still ongoing.

The facts you have relayed suggest that they feel you will be as great an asset to their school as you feel the desire to be part of the school program---and aside from the vetting process taking a bit longer than you are comfortable with---I see absolutely no red flags here and everything appears to be going well. It is just a matter of time until your hiring is confirmed and you are offered a contract.

Right now, when they are partway through your vetting, and your present supervisor gave you a glowing recommendation, everything looks great for you to have a new position in the immediate future. The chances look excellent.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Hi, Doug. Why does this process take so long? he mentioned in that email that they are concluding other interviews? I don't even know if it is for this position or for what? Eleven days is a long time.

Good afternoon,

They may be interviewing other people. It is not unusual for a position of this type to go through a process of interviewing several prospective employees and the entire process can take a month or two. But everything that you are hearing seems to be in your favor.

They are working on your references and all looks good so far---so, give it a couple more weeks before you get overly concerned. Your on-site interview and demo lesson seemed to go very well---and people who don't fit the position are generally NOT given goodbye hugs as they leave. Everything seems to suggest the best for you in terms of your future employment.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already, and because I am an independent site expert and not a site employee, it is the only way I am paid for answering your questions. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you the best in 2017!

Doug

How do I break it to them that there may be other offers? If these two schools that i interview with this week want to hire me, how do I tell the first school that?

How do you break what to them? That you applied to more than just them? You have no obligation to tell them that you are applying to other schools. If you are given an offer from another school that you want to take---then just take it. You can tell them that you are dropping out of the application process to work there----but do that ONLY after you have a firm, written contract with your new employer.

I wish you the best in 2017!

Doug

What if one of this week's offers pans out. Just let's say that I am given an offer on Thursday for one of this weeks's interviews? But what if I do not want to take it and they wind up giving it up for someone else because I am waiting on the first school??

Would you like to speak with me by phone?

That is a risk you take if you do not immediately accept an offer one employer might make to you. However, you can always ask for a few days to think about any offer and then call the school you want most to work at and tell them that if they don't make a firm offer in those days, that you will be accepting a different offer.

Please rate my service to you. Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer