Job

Ask a Career Counselor for Answers ASAP

Job

I am looking at taking on a real estate recruiting position

Customer Question
at my real estate brokerage...
I am looking at taking on a real estate recruiting position at my real estate brokerage. I have been trying to figure out what compensation I should request but I'm finding limited data on the internet. The initial offer was $500 per agent that I recruited to The Brokerage, no continued compensation regardless of this agents productivity. I feel that may be kind of low, but I am unsure of this. I'm not sure if I should be requesting more initial compensation or agree to the 500 plus request a percentage of the brokers split they will receive from agents productivity . Any insight on the average compensation would be appreciative or how i should proceed. This will be a commission-only sales position and compensation will only be per agent recruited into the brokerage. It may be good to add that I am on a salary-based position as the training director, and so my duties after the agent is recruited would fall under that salary to train the agent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Job
3/23/2016
Career Counselor: Stephen Wilkendorf, Human Resources Consultant replied 1 year ago
Stephen Wilkendorf
Stephen Wilkendorf, Human Resources Consultant

You are in an interesting position in my opinion. Since you are obviously a trusted and proven employee of this brokerage firm, and your value is known, I think you have leverage to ask for an share in the success of the people you recruit and train. How better for the firm to keep you motivated to do your best to bring in the best and help them do their best?

I think this is a good argument showing your interest in your firms best interest, not just your own.

I meant to add, please feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this subject. My best regards ***** ***** on your efforts!

Steve W.

Job Coach

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you have any idea on what an average or a reasonable request would be? our firm starts agent at a 70/30 split. would it be too much or too little if I requested the $500 "finders fee" plus 10 percent of their split? I don't want to be too unreasonable but also don't want to under cut myself

10% is a good starting point. I expect they might offer 5% or just say no. Be ready with your final answer before you go into the conversation.

I personally have not heard of any other recruiters in my experience receiving a percentage of commision on hires, within the real estate field or any other industry sales positions.

In closing, let me add that you may find that you firm is a rare one and is willing to consider offering you an incentive pay structure for this role you will play. And in large part, it will have to do with how much value you have earned as an employee. So again, I wish you well and I appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you. It helps me to continue to develop as a professional.

Many thanks,

Steve W.

Stephen Wilkendorf
Stephen Wilkendorf