Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

I am being offered a job at a start up, just post series a.

Customer Question
It is a senior leadership...
I am being offered a job at a start up, just post series a. It is a senior leadership sales position. I have no idea if it's good offer or what to negotiate. Who should I go to for help and what should I expect that advice to cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Job
3/11/2016
Career Counselor: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

This is pretty much an opinion question, but I am glad to weigh in. You should take the highest amount that you think is reasonable, add 25% and start from there. The company probably already has an idea what they want to pay you, so unless you are willing to walk away over compensation or you happen to have inside knowledge of the payscale at the company, you are sort of at a disadvantage here. At least picking a high number to start has a better chance of resulting in a good offer after it gets haggled down.

There are compensation consultants out there that can help you work out a package, but you'll have to decide on your own whether you think that is worth what one would charge (this varies by a lot).

Jason,Thanks but that really doesn't help, lol. No disrespect. I need specific help. I know salaries and commissions. Its the stock and how its structured I need help with. Where do I find the kind of specialist you mention? Is this a lawyer. I obviously need help understanding all angles of the options, especially tax implications.Thanks,D

if you have an offer in front of you or a menu of options, then a tax accountant should be able to provide good advice. Expect to pay around $200 an hour for that person's time.

Career Counselor: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hello Diedre - You really ARE asking a VERY open ended question here. There are literally hundreds of combinations and permutations of the kinds of incentives for equity to which you allude.

...

Warrants, rights, incentive Stock Options (ISO's), Non-qualified stock Options (NSOs), profits interests, restricted stock, restricted stock units (RSU's), employee stock ownership plans (ESOP) and more ... all taxed differently ... and ... all have differing taxation depending on how they're granted, when they're granted, whether an 83(b) election was made or not, whether the underlying stock is sold immediately or held for later sale ... and that doesn't even get into the issues around the actual value of the stock (when it's a private company it can be quite elusive)

...

I'd be glad to help. This is what I do, Design and implement these plans. But you'll have to provide more specificity. Maybe you can get the plan documents for any plan you're being offered as part of employment?

...

let me know how I can help

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.