How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS...
Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P
Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P, Consultant
Category: Job
Satisfied Customers: 248
Experience:  Associates in Criminal Justice. Bachelors in Human Service Management. Masters in Psychology
Type Your Job Question Here...
Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like advice from a social worker or mental health

Customer Question

I would like advice from a social worker or mental health counselor or both? NO psychologists please.
I am looking to go for my masters, but not sure if masters in social work, psychology, or counseling better?
I have children and 35 years old, so I need something where I can find a job and career.
My main goal is to provide therapy. However, I would like the option of other jobs in case that avenue wasn't available. Wondering, which has more possibilities and which has more available jobs. Also, how difficult would it be to open a private practice.
I see pay scale online, but do not know what is true. What is the average pay when dealing with insurance for a therapy session. Just trying to weigh out all my options. I have a bachelors degree and want to go back to school, but want to choose something where I enjoy, can help people, and can provide for my family.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Job
Expert:  Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to help you with your question. I have over 20 years experience researching the internet. I work in Healthcare as a General Manager. I have my Master's degree in Psychology, Bachelor's in Human Service Management, and my Associates in Criminal Justice. I am an Ordained Minister and also a Notary Public.

A Masters Degree in Psychology would enable you to go in many directions. I do counseling, social work, and do some private practice with families. All you would have to accomplish after getting the degree would be any State certifications that are required. Annual income for counselors/therapists range for $40,000 to $60,000.

You could charge whatever you want for your sessions. I charge $35.00 per 30 minute session for my private practice and I do not deal with insurance companies. I get a weekly salary for my main position based in elderly care. I choose to do a couple different things because it keeps the job interesting. Each position deals with helping people which seems to be one of the most important things to you. I believe you could set your own rates based on your location to be competitive.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem. I will go above and beyond to make sure you are 100% satisfied! Please don’t forget to rate my answer as good or above so I get credit. Thank you and God Bless!